Gil and Sarah Jaysmith have adventured from the quiet shores of Littlehampton, on the south coast of England, to the metropolis of Vancouver on the west coast of Canada. Are they ready for Canada? Is Canada ready for them? Read on and find out!

Saturday, July 11, 2009

31 Days Of Panda, day ten (MODERATE WIN)

Oh boy, did I get a lot of sleep! Between zonking out on the couch yesterday evening and then relocating to bed not long after midnight, I got over twelve hours. Then I got up early-ish and walked into work. Result: extremely wide-awake Panda all day, and wow, do I feel better when I'm wide-awake.

Then Sarah and Tara (who had been shopping in Long & McQuade - Sarah spent her Broadway Chorus gift voucher and came home with about nine new books including "13" and "The Wild Party") picked me up and we went to The Main for food, then onwards to a rehearsal for tomorrow's "Skunkworks Singers" gig at Mark & Bryn's wedding, then back home, where we enjoyed a nice hot tub.

Tricky to come to a final score for the day, though: definite plus points for the exercise and the happy mood, but I got tumpy again because the tossers in the apartment below smoked some exceptionally stinky weed tonight in the ten minutes we were in the showers. Oh well. I'm trying not to be so hard on myself, so it's a bit of a win.

Today's music:

1) Radiohead, "The Bends". A compact yet elegant album with some gorgeous songs: the most obvious being "Just" (isn't this song crying out for a choral arrangement?) and "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" (sorry, apparently EMI aren't into allowing embeds).

2) Sablo Tolo, "Journeys Into Pure Egyptian Percussion". A lot of drumming, really. It passed the time.

3) Snow Patrol, "A Hundred Million Stars". At least one person has compared us to Snow Patrol, although I can't remember who. This was a lot more tolerable than I'd expected (but then I would say that now). Kind of like an acceptably more pretentious Kaiser Chefs.

4) and 5) The Offspring, "Americana" and "Conspiracy Of One". Well of course The Offspring are rightly legendary for "Pretty Fly For A White Guy", but I have to admire their songwriting style: they think of an idea, and then they write exactly what that idea suggests in a pretty direct way for three minutes, and then they're done. In fact it's possible they own stopwatches which don't count up as far as three minutes. I like that. You couldn't accuse this band of being boring. Repetitive, sometimes, but not boring. Sadly for them, I'm not going to link one of their videos, because listening to two of their albums in one session, while satisfying, made me think about a bunch of similar, earlier bands, and in particular I found myself wishing I still had my collection of Husker Du, who play even faster.

Sarah health report: adequate, considering.
Panda health report: good, as (generally) always.
... oooh, is it suppertime? Bye now.

2 comments:

sciencebysarah said...

Oooh, which version of the Wild Party. (But it's sheet music, you say, there's not more than one version. Except apparently, two different composers wrote musicals entitled The Wild Party, and I have no idea why).

*ends musical theatre geek-out* Hope things are in general going well, and enjoying the blog entries =)

Vollett

Gil said...

Oh, that's why it's called "Andrew Lippa's The Wild Party". I always thought that was a bit pretentious, given that "Lippa" is not exactly a name to conjure with. Might've known there was some legal stuff bound up in it.

Things could be better, to quote The Full Monty, but every once in a while there's a rogue moment of total fun. Last night we hammered One Plus One for the first time in a while; Sarah finished off a long-loitering song called "Screw Well-Meaning People", and I wrote a scene set in the, er, "men's room" of a fertility clinic, which I'm guessing might be a first for a musical...

Hope Naramata / wherever on Earth you are at the moment is being nice.