Gil and Sarah Jaysmith have adventured from the quiet shores of Littlehampton, on the south coast of England, to the metropolis of Vancouver on the west coast of Canada. Are they ready for Canada? Is Canada ready for them? Read on and find out!

Sunday, July 5, 2009

31 Days Of Panda, day five (WIN?)

Walked back from Granville Island to the apartment. In sandals. That's reasonable exercise. Also, still holding firm on the no-chocolate thing. Good panda.

Today: god, it was hot. We both woke up stupendously early and spent some time staggering around the apartment alternately prostrating ourselves before the Great God Fan and cursing the potheads in the apartment below ("Reefer Madness" take note: there are people who get fucked up on marijuana and cause a general nuisance... I couldn't care less whether they're hooligans and whores, their stuff stinks and we can't open our goddamn windows in the middle of summer).

The Twines went out shopping (again? shocking) and we melted a bit more.

Then they returned, and Sarah and I did our big dramatic presentation of the whole of "One Plus One" for our captive audience of two. It took two and a half hours, which is probably just a little longer than the show will actually run - we have 17 songs done out of about 25, and a lot of the script, so we had to handwave through a few songs and plot points, but also we stopped and explained a couple of things and describe the action on stage and say who was speaking (ten characters, but only two of us reading and singing). The result was satisfying and validating: the plot apparently makes sense to the Twines, and they were in tears at numerous appropriate points, and giggling so hard at one point they fell over on the couch. By the time we reached the final song we were a bit exhausted and not quite up to faking seven parts, but whatever. So I personally am EXTREMELY happy, having written most of the script and been on tenterhooks as to how it works, and doubtless Sarah and I will have a lengthy conflab about how it was to perform the whole thing.

But the next thing that happened was that we bundled off to Granville Island where the Twines and I had food and Sarah had a Rent rehearsal. And then I walked home, and now I await their collective return, still melting despite fans, open windows, and ice cubes.

I haven't listened to any music today - but I did finally listen to my first podcast! I read a lot of comics but there are precious few comics websites which are at all worth reading more than once: Mindless Ones, Thoughts On Stuff, and If Destroyed are the only real contenders for me. Paul O'Brien from If Destroyed has been podcasting with a friend for some months now, and I've always meant to try them out - but it's taken a long time to persuade myself to put aside the time to try it, because podcasts are basically audiobooks, and I really don't have time to listen to them when I could be reading something at about 40x the speed. However, it was hot and I have nothing else to do so I tried one. And it was pretty good fun. Part of my 31 Days Of Panda thing involves me not now downloading all the previous editions in the vain hope of making time to listen to them all, but I've broken the ice, lost my virginity, skinned my first polar bear, insert your choice of metaphor here... and if I find myself relaxing with 45 minutes to spare in the future, I might try another.

Mmmm, that spare bunny chicken from last night was delicious... nom nom nom. Protein :)

No comments: