Gil and Sarah Jaysmith have adventured from the quiet shores of Littlehampton, on the south coast of England, to the metropolis of Vancouver on the west coast of Canada. Are they ready for Canada? Is Canada ready for them? Read on and find out!

Monday, July 6, 2009

31 Days Of Panda, day six (WIN!)

It's still too hot.

Sarah needed me to drop our keyboard stand back to the hotel where the Rent crew rehearses - we'd borrowed it back for the Bowen Island gig but in the end didn't take the keyboard - so I walked into work, nearly half of the way with this ungainly metal contraption in one hand. I also walked back this evening. It's nearly 40 minutes each way, so I'm feeling quite virtuous and am awarding myself a Win for today, even before considering my sterling dietary choices - fruit, lettuce leaves, turkey slices, no bread, etc, plus the bizarre but curiously edible dish at Hons tonight - sauteed chicken, peppers, and peanuts in spicy sauce. All told it's a bit of a shame that work itself was a bit crap, but whatever.

Today's music was an uneventful selection. I finished listening to D-12 "D-12 World" which I had gotten halfway through in the gym on Saturday. Damn, that's got some fast tracks on it. Jog or crosstrain to those, it'll do you good. Eminem's knack for an extremely catchy and offensively funny chorus doesn't desert him - in fact you might wonder why his faster, catchier stuff isn't on his own albums, as he does it so well - and the rest of the group are... well... they're mostly there, except in a few places where they're mildly worth listening to. I'm not saying half of this slightly fat album isn't utterly pointless drivel, mind you. "My Band", "How Come", and "Get My Gun" are easily the best tracks with some considerable distance to the track in fourth place, whatever it is. (That's how much I can uniquify the rest of the album for you.) But still, three excellent tracks isn't at all bad for an album these days...

Then there was the second, or rather the first, disc from The Complete Adventures Of The Style Council. Thanks to my Zen player missorting the album tags, I listened to disc two last week, but have now fixed that ordering problem and correctly located disc one. It's more of the bizarre mixture of straight-up pop-funk, some desperately political stuff which drags my memories back to the mid-80s (and how we were all convinced we'd never escape them, apparently), and some forward-looking stuff which still sounds vaguely plausible today. I'm not sure I would recommend this exact package to anyone innocent of Paul Weller's sophomore band, but hey, it's got some reasonable stuff: try the samples at Amazon. And in particular, I was so close to thinking I had identified (purely by chance) the legendary "bop - banana" song which we love to bounce along to at The Main - until it turned out to only be the same song for the first fifteen seconds, and then it did something similar but different. What am I talking about? Listen to "Me Ship Came In!" on disc one. I wonder if there was a 12" remix or something.

Finally I listened to The Strokes, "First Impressions Of Earth". Well, this isn't really my thing. There's a distinct impression of Lou Reed about it, and I'm not that bothered about him either. The songs suggest potential but they never quite achieve it save for the occasional surprising development (like the melody line going all over the place in a great way on "Ize Of The World"), but they generally sound like a timid version of Coldplay. This is not a promising comparison, and I shan't really make an effort to hear The Strokes again.

Sarah and Copious Twines are due back from various alarums and excursions any moment, so I'll leave it there for tonight. Ohweeeey :)

No comments: