Gil and Sarah Jaysmith have adventured from the quiet shores of Littlehampton, on the south coast of England, to the metropolis of Vancouver on the west coast of Canada. Are they ready for Canada? Is Canada ready for them? Read on and find out!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Getting up to date!

Look, only one month behind in the TARDIS! I felt smug as I posted that. And then, it occurred to me that even as the Blog TARDIS whirls around in the wake of the timestream, I could... post something else! Covering today!

So: today I had physio. I have a trapped nerve in my back, which is causing neck pain and occasional streaks of unpleasantness down my left arm. I had my first session last Tuesday and this one was at the same time: 7:10am! Argh! Ultrasound, electrical pulses, and neck-stretching in a machine which looked suspiciously like a James Bond villain might reprogramme it to rip my head off at any moment - and all happening two hours before I normally even consider waking up. Argh argh! This will also be our first experience of claiming on medical insurance. (Hopefully. It won't be very nice if it turns out to be our first experience of failing to claim on medical insurance.)

Sarah spent today doing Voiceprint and working on the music for our new Christmas song, Take December Off. This is a bonkers samba-themed Christmas rave based on the idea of encouraging an overly-politically-correct (and uninformed) boss to give you plenty of days off for cultural reasons. At the moment it clocks in at something like eight minutes. But I don't want to edit it because it's all very funny, so the plan is to switch the drum rhythm and do something else exciting to make the verses stay fresh. We still haven't sorted out samples of the new songs, but these will crop up soon, my pretties, soon...

Tonight, we had Broadway Chorus. Have I mentioned this before? Their website is here. They call it community theatre over here; it's basically like English amateur theatre, but this specific company is interesting in that they perform what are essentially revue shows with a plot, and the chorus has a lot to do. The musical selection is pretty up-to-date too; the last show had Sailing from A New Brain and some stuff from The Light In The Piazza, and this time round it's clear the director has just seen The Drowsy Chaperone. He also enjoys ridiculing pretentious songs; I get to sing the dismal I Believe My Heart (from The Woman In White) in a yokel accent, with the chorus adding overly-hysterical backing vocals.
It's a bit of a hoot, all told. We've been going there for a couple of months, and the new show, Anne Murray Of Green Gables is four weeks away.

If I haven't been posting regular entries here then that means I haven't had a chance to complain about our self-inflicted schedule of death. You could ignore my pleas for sympathy on the basis that this is all our own fault. But please don't, as you're supposed to be our friends, you bastards ;)
  • Mondays: "chroma", Brian Tate's gospel choir
  • Tuesdays: Broadway Chorus
  • Wednesdays: Sarah's had another acting course, and I've had High Spirits choir, but as of tomorrow Sarah will be back at High Spirits too
  • Thursdays: open mic at Myles Of Beans every other week, alternating with a songwriting night
  • Fridays: "carlyle.4", our extremely pretentiously-named quartet (it's the only way to fly!), currently rehearsing stuff
  • Saturdays: often free, but then we see shows in the evenings
  • Sundays: often free in the daytime, with an open mic at Urban Rush Cafe every other week
We both look just a bit tired these days...

What else can I tell you? On Monday we discovered a brand of chocolate called Toffifee, for people who can't stop spelling toffee. We also discovered yet another destination which we can reach on the 22 bus. That bus goes everywhere! (And soon we'll have a song to prove it...)

And there's a new Mystery Case Files game!

And a new season of Sam And Max!

Life is good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the record Toffifee have been around in England for a long time... trust me I know my food :-)